My kids went through a phase of saying this – the flip side being “Swimming with the Salmon of Success”.
This is a sorry tale of the tribulations of natural dyeing.
Buoyed up by my success with sage I rifled through my dried plant matter and found some foraged buddleia blooms from last summer. I collected them from a hedgerow bush when the flowers were brown and crispy and useless to all but a middle-aged woman with slightly fringe interests. The flowers in bloom were a mid purple.
Jenny Dean got this from dried buddleia, but I do believe she has Magical Powers.
I followed the same method as for the sage. The dye liquor was a golden yellow, I added alum and put 50g wetted fleece in the slow cooker, and waited for the magic to work.
No Salmon of Success swam through my dyepot this fateful day. I got a bit of yellow – rather like I hadn’t washed the fleece properly.
I tried reheating. I tried leaving the fleece in the cooling dye bath overnight. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. In fact, the photo above looks better than it actually is.
I’ll try again another day when this years’ flowers have blossomed – I am not good at embracing failure.
My plan for my next dye is a dead cert. I’ll keep you posted 😉